Skip to main content

Team Management: More Than Deadlines

              While everyone in the group wants to make a great game that our fans will enjoy, we all have different ideas on how to get there. Today I’m going to talk about team management as the Producer on Batteries Included, and why it’s often more than most people would imagine.
              For me, the most important part of being the team’s producer was to ensure that everyone was communicating. If not to me, then to their individual department heads. This was so I could be as updated as possible as to what people were working on, and if they were running into problems I could help them or get someone else who could. Oiling the machine, keeping it happy, plugging leaks.
This led into my second directive: making sure everyone was on the same page. This included everything from overarching concept and design principles, to unit behaviors and abilities. In some way, everyone was working on specific minutia that make up the sum of Batteries Included. I needed to show everyone what the sum we were working toward looked like. It wasn’t necessarily all my ideas, far from it, but a compilation of musings from the design team, programmers, and artists. Anything we directly decided on was added to this idea of our game, and I relayed it to the rest of the team as often as possible. This became very convoluted at a very specific point in our process: during our pivot into what we are today. Everyone was contributing to this sum at a rapid pace, and I could barely keep up with the changes, let alone anyone else who had other work prototyping it. It was imperative that those responsible for making the actual changes knew what they needed to change, and we did have some issues with the pace we were taking in doing so.
That being said, we made it through, and are all the better for it. Our vision is as clear as it’s ever been, and we’re rapidly approaching launch day for the game. I can happily say that team morale for the project is at an all-time high. Another part of my job that I take very seriously is the health of the team. If one member has too much on their plate, or is struggling in other aspects of their life, I made sure to make time to talk things over with them to see if there was anything I could do to help. I think in the long run this has brought us all closer as a team, and established a sense of camaraderie and friendship. It’s important to get along with the people you see every day, even if you don’t always agree on everything. In fact, I think that a healthy dose of disagreement is important in developing a game, as you can’t understand what makes an idea good if you don’t have a counterpoint for why it could be bad.
I think everyone knows about deadlines, burndown charts, stand-ups and development cycles nowadays in the game industry. And while I also handled all of these things and ensured they were met, I think what I’ve outlined above is ultimately more important for a good game. You can make all the deadlines and charts that you want, but it still won’t ensure success. Team health, communication, and togetherness may not sell your game either, but it’s easier to have a productive work environment when the team members feel they’re of value to the project and that their contributions matter.

Signing off,
Griffin Park, Producer/Designer

Comments